Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sek Kin (1913-2009): Rest in Peace

One of the unexpected pleasures I had while watching countless Connie Chan films was that I became acquainted with the long and prolific career of Hong Kong cinema's number one bad guy, Sek Kin. During the 60s, he co-starred with Connie in some 70 films. The two of them had a special chemistry that equaled, in my opinion, the legendary on-screen romance between Connie and Lui Kei. Both relationships were intimate, but one was made of declarations of love and attempted kisses, while the other was made of kicks and punches. As Sek Kin once said in an interview, he loved working with Connie because she was strong and could take a hit.

In tribute to "Bad Guy Kin" (who in real life was the epitome of Mr. Nice Guy), here is a clip from The Black Killer (1967). In the film Sek Kin plays a gang boss who has kidnapped Connie Chan’s uncle. Posing as a young tough, Connie successfully gains his trust until the inevitable moment of revelation and betrayal.



Further Reading

12 comments:

oldflames said...

Villain Kin,the iconic Villain of the Cantonese cinema, we shall all miss him.RIP.

Todd said...

Sad news, indeed. I hope they have an appropriate lair -- hidden revolving doors, the works -- waiting for him in the afterlife.

Juniper Girl said...

I say the same, sad news.

SpyMonkey said...

Sek Kin's villian image is truly iconic. Kwan Tak Hing was memorable as a hero, but there are also many actors who play famous heroes. However, when we think about villains, Sek Kin's image is probably the most famous one that pops into our mind. That's how important a footprint Sek Kin has left in the Chinese film culture.

SpyMonkey said...

Funny you mentioned Lui Kei. His nephew lives here in Toronto. We've been friends for almost 20 years.

duriandave said...

The only reason I'm not sad is that by all accounts, Sek Kin led a good and full life.

While watching some news footage of his passing on YouTube, I couldn't help but be inspired by his example.

I'll try to post another clip of Villain Kin this weekend.

duriandave said...

SpyMonkey, I'm surprised to learn you are friends with Lui Kei's nephew!

My first encounter with Lui Kei was through the various spoofs by Tony Leung Ka-fai. So when I first saw one of his films with Connie Chan, it took me a while to appreciate his unique charm. But I eventually came to appreciate his expressive acting style.

Rally said...

i will miss his iron claws!

hcpen said...

great blog!! I love old hk/taiwanese films too..please more photos of cheongsam-clad stars and more on yu min and other famous mandarin and cantonese stars..thanks a bunch~~and keep up the good work!!!

duriandave said...

Hey Ral! Yep, that was the first time I saw Sek Kin, battling Bruce Lee with his iron claws in the room of mirrors. That was so cool! :D

Hi hcpen! Thanks for the kind words! I actually have a few Yu Min items that I've been meaning to post. I'll move them up in my to-do queue. :)

Henry said...

oh wooow... that's ending of an era...

duriandave said...

Thanks for dropping by, Henry!

We were blessed to have Sek Kin for so many years and so many movies.